Bigger, Sexier, and A Lot More Fun!
I’m shamelessly borrowing it from my good friend (and roomie!) India, because Ms. Eloisa James came up with the phrase while giving India pitch pointers and it quickly became our battle cry.
RWA was phenomenal. Meeting those of you who were there was awesome, because without exception, everyone was even more fantastic in person than I’d imagined. (Geez, I’m already running out of superlatives, and I’ve barely started the blog!) I was so proud of everyone who pitched and got requests and networked their little badges off. There were so many great moments, I can’t begin to list them all. Well, okay, I can begin, and I’ll just have to save the stuff I forget for a later post:
- High tea with Julia Quinn and Eloisa James and several of their esteemed readers
- Meeting more of my idols at the literacy booksigning
- CM’s birthday bash – after which we caught a pimped-out limo for our Harry Potter showing
- Pitching and plotting with the Manuscript Mavens
- Lisa Kleypas’ inspiring keynote address, and Lisa Jackson’s Hot Tamales giveaway
- Attending the Avon off-site booksigning with several Fanlitters, including a couple of the Romance Vagabonds
- Hanging out in the pitch room with any/all of the above
- Hanging out in the bar with any/all of the above
Of course, there was the RWA bylaws drama to keep things interesting, and the nerves inherent to pitching and networking – I barely slept, and I’m sure I lost at least three pounds! All in all, though, it was an amazing weekend. I’m so glad I went. Sitting in that huge ballroom in a sea of women (with a few men here or there) who create, publish, and promote this genre – it was an amazing feeling, and so inspiring. Now I just have to focus all that energy and get back down to work. And tackle the mountain of laundry ….