Gina Black tagged me over a week ago now. The rules are something like this:
Link the person who tagged you.
Mention the rules in your blog.
Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged.
Okay, so my first quirk would be this:
When tagged, I like to change the rules.
Seriously, I’ve been thinking all week about my quirks, and quirkiness in general. Somehow I’ve had a really hard time coming up with six “unspectacular quirks” for this meme. Which is odd, because most of the time I just feel like a mass of quirks, none of them spectacular. Maybe it’s just that by now, anyone who has been reading this blog knows just about all the quirks I plan to share. 😉
But I have been thinking a lot about Isabel, my current heroine, and her quirkiness. So I thought I would share with you six of hers.
1. She doesn’t eat sugar. And this has nothing to do following some Regency version of the Atkins Diet. It’s political.
2. Her idea of a hot date is dragging her suitor to visit orphans. Not just any orphans, but sickly ones.
3. Despite her charitable nature, she’s not really an animal lover – larger animals, like horses and dog, make her uneasy. Cats are too disloyal for her to identify with. She does like God’s smallest creatures – bugs, spiders, lizards don’t make her squeamish in the least. Of course, she would never do anything so disgusting as collect them and pin them on cards.
4. She’s self-conscious about her curvy figure, her dark complexion, her thick hair, and basically everything on her body – but she has a weak spot of vanity about her neck. She thinks she has a quite lovely neck, and when she looks in the mirror, she will fix on it and try to be satisfied, rather than let her gaze wander up and down to more objectionable parts.
5. Much as she enjoys music, she can’t carry a tune. Which pains her mostly because she is ashamed to sing in church.
6. She feels her deepest fear ought to be hell…but it isn’t.
Ah, and the bonus #7 – the one thing Isabel and I have in common – a hatred (okay, Isabel would not use the word “hatred”) – an intense dislike of shopping.
And now, you’re all tagged!
Do you give your characters quirks? Or remember any quirks of your favorite characters? Examples, please!
It’s those little things that can really make a character come alive, and this was actually a really good exercise for me to do, as I work on my book. Thanks, Gina!
EDITED: To fix lame typos and also because I forgot to mention, Courtney Milan and Lenora Bell are finalists in the Romance Through The Ages contest! Yay! And Lenora is also a finalist in the Spring into Romance contest! Yay again! And Vagabond Manda is a finalist in the Daphne! Yay some more!
Seriously, I’m hoarse from the yaying lately.